Scottish Junior Football, up to £50 free bet, Promo code: FB50. Bet now!

St Andrews 2, Lochee Utd 3: Match Report

ST ANDREWS Junior Cup joy after last weeks victory over Thorniewood turned to despair as they went down to two late goals against Lochee United at Recreation Park on Saturday.

The Fifers had three crucial Superleague points in the bag with ten minutes remaining but the Dundee side hit back at the death to take the points back to Tayside.

Saints boss Jim Hardie had taken ill on Friday so his assistant Gus Malone took charge of the team and kept with the same starting eleven that defeated Thorniewood a week previous.

With both teams desperate for the points the game was never going to be a classic and Saints struggled to settle down in the early stages.

A quick break by the Dundee side on 3 minutes saw McMullan have to be sharp to clear the ball for a corner.

Saints were awarded a  free kick on 6 minutes and when the kick was taken Kadela volleyed narrowly over from the penalty spot.

But the visitors took the lead on 8 minutes when a Gates free kick found the head of Voigt at the back post who nodded the ball home.

Saints drew level on 18 minutes after Lochee were guilty of some late tackles in the middle of their own half which resulted in the home side being awarded a free kick 20 yards out for a tackle on Kadela.

Sibanda punished the offence by smashing home the free-kick off the far post giving Lochee keeper Fotheringham no chance.

The remainder of the first half was devoured of real chances but Sibanda was unlucky with a header from a McInnes cross and as the first period drew to a close Lochee’s Clark had a shot well saved by Saints keeper Cargill.

Saints started the second half a bit brighter and Buchan was unlucky to hit the side netting on 50 minutes from a McMullan cross.

Cargill then had to be alert to produce another fine save this time from Blackwood on 56 minutes.

But Saints got their noses in front on 72 minutes when Sibanda nodded home his second of the game after Drummond had headed a McMullan free kick back across goal.

However, it all fell apart for Saints on 80 minutes as McMullan was shown a straight red card for violent conduct after Gallagher had retaliated to the full-backs original challenge.

Cavanagh then hit a shot from distance on 82 which deceived Cargill, a vicious bounce off the pitch taking the ball through the keepers hands and the game was level entering the closing stages.

Then on 88 minutes Lochee won the game when Wallace, who had been pushed up front to try to get the winner, found Clark and the former Carnoustie man fired home to spark wild celebrations among the travelling Lochee support.

The absence of manager Hardie was not an ideal start to the game for the Saints players but football is often unkind.

But Saints will have to brush themselves down and start all over again at they prepare to travel to face in-form Bonnyrigg this coming Saturday.

Mark Johnson

Share This Post