Scottish Junior Football, up to £50 free bet, Promo code: FB50. Bet now!

Mar 1: Linlithgow boss quits after 6-0 shocker

MARK BRADLEY sensationally resigned as manager of Linlithgow Rose after his team were hammered by St Andrews United in the third round of the East of Scotland Cup.

The East Superleague champions have been struggling to stay in the hunt to retain their title since the turn of the year.

But no one would have predicted the champions would slump to their heaviest defeat in years at the hands of Superleague strugglers St Andrews.

Jim Hardie’s men amazingly ran out 6-0 winners against Bradley’s flops who looked a shadow of the team that dominated the East region last term.

Goals from Lee Sibanda, Ricky Patrick, Ryan McInnes and Gary Sutherland’s hat-trick secured the emphatic win as the Fifers progressed to the quarter-finals.

And Linlithgow’s misery didn’t stop there as John Ovenstone, Adam Nelson and Tommy Coyne all saw red.

The embarrassing result left Bradley with no option but to offer his immediate resignation to end what had been a successful two and a half-year spell as the Linlithgow gaffer.

Most significantly Bradley led the East region giants to the Superleague title last term in his first full season in the Prestonfield Park hotseat.

And even more impressively his team lifted the league trophy having gone through their entire league campaign undefeated.

In addition to title success Bradley led his team to the 2013 Scottish Junior Cup Final only to lose out narrowly 1-0 against Auchinleck Talbot at Almondvale Stadium in Livingston.

And in the East Region cup competitions Bradley won the League Cup twice and Fife & Lothians Cup twice to take his total trophy haul to five during his reign since October 2011.

But the latest setback comes at the end of a miserable run of form which has seen the champions win only one Superleague game from their last eight before crashing out the East of Scotland Cup.

Elsewhere in the Fife & Lothians Cup Bo’ness United booked their place in the third round with a 4-0 win over East South Division side Crossgates Primrose.

Goals from Zander Miller and Nicky Walker added to Steven Hislop’s first-half double as Allan McGonigal’s men won comfortably.

And Broxburn progressed to the quarter-finals after overcoming Superleague rivals Musselburgh in a penalty shoot-out after the game ended 2-2.

Scott Pittman and Steven Weir grabbed the goals for Broxburn as Mike Hunter and Steven Thomson replied before Jackie Myles missed the decisive spot-kick that handed Broxburn victory.

Stuart Coleman

Share This Post