Scottish Junior Football, up to £50 free bet, Promo code: FB50. Bet now!

Camelon 2, Bonnyrigg 3: Match Report

MAX CHRISTIE admitted he was pleased to see his team end their season on a high after Bonnyrigg edged out Camelon in a five goal thriller at Carmuirs Park.

18-year-old Dean Whitson was the Rose hero with a deadly double after Colin Allison had given the Mariners the lead.

Whitson’s first levelled the scores before Kris Renton fired Bonnyrigg into the lead just before the break.

James Stephenson levelled the scores ten minutes after the restart but it was young Whitson who grabbed the limelight with the winner thirteen minutes from time.

A delighted Christie said: “We’ve ended the season on a high – we’ve only lost three league games all season so there doesn’t seem much in the terms of tinkering with for next season. I don’t think we’re too far away from where we need to be.”

The game had a typical end of season feel about it until the home side deservedly took the lead in the 16 minutes.

Calum Scott hoisted a cross to the back post area for Eamon Fullarton to knock into the danger area and Allison was first onto the scene to drill it home.

Camelon were on top but their superiority was halted when Rose defender Stuart Roseburgh picked up a serious knee injury after an innocuous challenge and play was held up for ten minutes to get the left back treated and stretchered off the park to an awaiting ambulance.

The break in play seemed to flicker the visitors into life and five minutes after the restart in play they were level.

Kevin McLeish teased the home defence and whipped over a tantalising cross which Whitson glanced home with a deft header.

Suddenly Bonnyrigg found new confidence and in first half stoppage time they edged their noses in front when substitute Liam McKenna slipped the ball to Alex King who then threaded the ball through to Renton who made no mistake from close range.

The Mariners emerged from the interval with all guns blazing and they levelled proceedings in the 61 minutes when Blair Batchelor’s finely timed pass set up Stephenson who beat Mark Weir with a low drive.

However Whitson capped a fine performance to head home another inch-perfect cross from McLeish for the winner with 13 minutes remaining.

Camelon cranked up the pressure in the remaining minutes as they searched for an equaliser to help boost their fading title hopes but Bonnyrigg held out for three welcome points.

Disappointed home gaffer John Sludden groaned: “I thought we deserved a point at least but the games are beginning to take their toll on us somewhat now.”

MoM: Dean Whitson (Bonnyrigg)

Chris Sanderson

Share This Post