Scottish Junior Football, up to £50 free bet, Promo code: FB50. Bet now!

Juniors on the Road to Hampden

BO’NESS UNITED produced a stunning second half comeback at Borough Briggs to keep their Scottish Cup dreams alive.

The East Superleague champions fought back after trailing 3-0 at the interval to earn a third round replay against Elgin City after the game ended 4-4.

Allan McGonigal’s men travelled North to face the team who are currently bottom of League Two in confident mood.

But goals from Mark Nicolson and a double from Brian Cameron left Bo’ness shell-shocked going into the break.

However the Junior side found inspiration from somewhere and goal’s from sub Kieran Anderson, Nicky Walker and Darren Gribben levelled the tie to set up a fascinating climax.

With just under twenty minutes remaining Shane Sutherland edged Elgin in front once again but it was Bo’ness who were to have the final word as Andy Scott slammed home an equaliser inside the final ten minutes.

The teams will have to do it all again next week at Newtown Park and McGonigal’s men will surely fancy their chances after their spirited display in the Highlands.

Junior Cup holders Hurlford United will also face a third round replay after being denied a famous Scottish Cup victory against League One side Stirling Albion.

The Ayrshire side took a deserved early lead when Stewart Kean netted from close range and Darren Henderson’s men had further chances to extend their lead.

But ten man Stirling, who lost Craig Wedderburn to a second yellow, pegged the Junior side back when Chris Smith headed home an equaliser with just under ten minutes remaining.

Henderson’s men will now travel to Forthbank believing they can still make history by reaching the fourth round.

However it wasn’t such a good day for East Region heavyweight’s Linlithgow Rose who crashed out of the Scottish Cup at the hands of Championship side Raith Rovers at Prestonfield.

Danny Smith’s men knew they would need to be at their best against the full-timers from Kirkcaldy and had chances to open the scoring with Colin Strickland, Calum Smith and Roddy MacLennan all going close.

Linlithgow continued to ask questions of their Senior visitors but they were when undone by a second half penalty when Gary Thom fouled Mark Stewart inside the box and Ryan Conroy made no mistake from the spot.

And with five minutes remaining the Championship side made sure they would be in the hat for Monday’s fourth round draw when Paul Watson thumped home a header from Lewis Vaughan’s corner.

Stuart Coleman

Share This Post